An egg fast is a new concept, at least it was new to me. If you are like me and are asking “what is an egg fast?” The best way to describe it is you eat eggs with a fat for 3-5 days. Now this can sound a little scary at first, but actually there are lots of creative recipes that you can make on a egg fast.
5 Day Egg Fast Meal Plan –> HERE
A Keto egg fast is a short term ketogenic diet method that is used to jumpstart or reboot a ketogenic lifestyle. Those on an egg fast are able to quickly get into a state of ketosis and tend to shed weight quickly.
What do you eat on an egg fast?
On an egg fast you eat eggs, cheese, butter or another fat source. I know this sounds like it is limited, but there are actually lots of recipes out there.
What other rules are there:
- When preparing your eggs, eat the whole egg both the whites and yolk.
- Eat an egg within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning.
- Have at minimum 3-5 meals of 2 or more eggs per day.
- Additionally, you should be eating every 3-5 hours, even if you don’t feel hungry.
- Eat an egg at least 3 hours before going to bed.
- Sauces and condiments are allowed, as long as they are low-carb and used sparingly.
- Butter, herbs, spices, and coconut oil are permitted to use with/on your eggs.
- Stay hydrated and drink lots of water.
- Tea and coffee are permitted, try to avoid diet soda, but it is allowed if necessary.
- Consume at least 100 ounces each day.
Egg fast and intermittent fasting:
This is the method that I am personally using for the egg fast. So the eating time incriminates mentioned above aren’t used. I am still eating at least 6 eggs per day and three meals of at least two eggs. I have intermittent fasted in the past and plan to continue when eating Keto after the egg fast.
How many eggs are you supposed to eat daily:
You need to eat at least six eggs and one tablespoon of a fat per egg. There’s really no reason to be hungry on an egg fast, as you can eat more than six eggs if needed.
How long does the egg fast last:
An egg fast should last 3-5 days. It is suggested on days 6 and 7 to still eat eggs for 1-2 meals and then slowly re-introduce the Keto lifestyle. This helps so that you don’t gain all of the weight back.
Main foods you eat on the egg fast:
Any Full Fat Cheese
Sauces, condiments, and seasonings can be used sparingly.
Note: The number of ounces of cheese eaten should be equal to or less than the number of eggs eaten on each day.
This is a great short term diet method. It works because it is low in carbs and high in protein. You never have a reason to be hungry on the egg fast, but you might tire of eggs if you aren’t creative with your recipes. Before starting any new diet or exercise regime you should always contact for your physician.
Check out my 5 day egg fast meal plan –> HERE!