This low carb pork pumpkin soup recipe is so creamy, and simple to make. It’s full of flavors and the perfect healthy comfort food on cold fall or winter day. The pepita’s sprinkled on top add a delicious crunch. What are pepita’s you ask, they are simply a fancy word for pumpkin seeds. This recipe is great for leftovers too!
How to make this soup:
First in a large saucepan combine the pumpkin, cream cheese, and spices. Continue to stir until combined well over medium heat.
Next add in the chicken stock and simmer for approximately 15 minutes (uncovered).
While the soup mixture is simmering, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat and add pork chops. Cook each pork chop 5-7 minutes per side, until done. I like my my pork chops to have a good sear so I typically turn the heat up at the end for about a minute.
Then wash the onions and toss in 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt, broil in the over for 10 minutes, rotating frequently until they are charred + browned.
Finally it’s ready to eat add the soup into bowls, top with sliced pork, onions, then sprinkle with pepitas aka pumpkin seeds. YUM!
Pepita Pork Pumpkin Soup
- 6 pork loin chops boneless
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cans pumpkin puree about 14 ounces each
- 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt + ½ teaspoon divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of cloves
- ½ cup pepitas
- In a saucepan, combine pumpkin, cream cheese, and spices. Over medium heat, mix until combined.
- Add chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat and add pork chops. Cook approximately 5-7 minutes per side, until done.
- Wash the onions and toss in 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt, broil for 10 minutes, stirring/rotating frequently until charred/browned.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, add sliced pork, onions, then sprinkle with pepitas.